WASHINGTON SQUARE COIN EXCHANGE
Your Guide to Antarctica Collector Sets of Banknotes
Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Collecting These Beautiful Extraordinary Banknotes
These six beautiful banknotes come in a special limited edition set or they can be purchased individually.
Below you will find hyperlinks for each denomination note and a brief explanation of the scene shown on both sides of the note. By clicking on the hyperlink and reading the information included with each denomination note you are reading the same information presented in the limited edition custom binder.
The presentation binder contains double pages with each note at the top of the page. The complete information is then presented below on large insert cards, both the front and back of the note is shown along with their information cards.
The presentation binder is 11 1/2 inches tall and 9 1/2 inches wide. When open fully it is 19 1/2 inches wide and has a Adelie Penguin with a background ocean scene on the front cover. All in all a very nice limited edition binder.
This banknote issue was prepared by the British American Banknote Company, one of the world's best and very highly regarded banknote companies in the world. The British American Banknote Company also produces other securities such as stocks, bonds, and debentures.
Each note has several security measures built into it, such as holograms, microtext, alphanumeric serial numbering, and a further special security zone.
Linen paper and full color fronts and backs have also been incorporated to further enhance the attraction of this historic, educational, and ground breaking issue.
The Antarctica Notes
A great deal of additional information on Antarctica and the wildlife that lives there by reading the information presented with each note. For those who do, it will be a fascinating journey.
- One Antarctican Dollar: A stunning Antarctic fjord with penguins sunning on the rocks. Reverse: Adelie penguins leaping into the cold ocean from the ice. Colors: Red, gray, and multicolored.
- Five Antarctican Dollars: Crabeater seal on ice floe. Reverse: Albatross gliding over the ocean, killer whales in the foreground. Colors: Blue and gray.
- Ten Antarctican Dollars: Proud profile of Robert Falcon Scott, who gave his life in search of the Pole. While he did achieve the pole, he found Amundsen had reached it first. Scott and his team did not survive the return trip. Reverse: Highly detailed map of Antarctican lands, showing territorial bases. Colors: Brown, royal blue, gray, and multicolored.
- Twenty Antarctican Dollars: Roald Amundsen and the flag of Norway. Reverse: Artistic representation of Amundsen surveying his position at the Pole with the Norwegian flag flying; dog team in the background. Colors: Purple and polychrome.
- Fifty Antarctican Dollars: McMurdo Station. Reverse: Globe and world flags, with Antarctic Treaty. Colors: Deep green and polychrome.
- One Hundred Antarctican Dollars: Antarctica view and weather science, specifically ozone hole detection. Colors: Multicolored.
- Approximate size of each note: 3.5 x 7.0 inches (8.9 x 17.8 centimeters).
- Estimated print runs: A1 20,000 - A5 20,000 - A10 20,000 - A20 11,000 - A50 2,500 - A100 1,500.Small denomination half-sheet: 100 - Large denomination half-sheet: 100 - Collector pack of all six: TBA
- Printing: British American Banknote Co., (Quebecor Financial Printing); four-color lithography on wove paper with numerous security features.
- Issuing Agency: Antarctica Overseas Exchange Office Ltd.
- Issue Date: March 2, 1996
- Signing Officers: D. John Hamilton, comptroller
A.D.J. Carman, assistant comptroller
- Acknowledgements: Colin Monteath of Hedgehog House Polar and Mountain Library (New Zealand); Galen Rowell (New Zealand); Vere Kenny of Readers Digest (Australia); The New Zealand Antarctic Society (New Zealand); Scott Polar Research Institute (United Kingdom); Michael Brouillet Graphic Design (Canada); Mr. Eric Beach, weather scientist (USA); and other international libraries and archives.
Click here to purchase the Antarctica Limited Edition Banknote Set.
Click here to read an article about Antarctica $1.00 Banknotes - $5.00 Banknotes - $10.00 Banknotes - $20.00 Banknotes - $50.00 Banknotes - $100.00 Banknotes.
Click here to go back to Site Map, WSCoin Homepage, or Search the Site.
© 1999 Washington Square Coin Exchange